The Bit Foundation is a non-profit organization dependent on the Government of the Balearic Islands directly involved in the implementation of innovation and technological development public policies and strategies, as well as actions concerning systems and strategies of science, innovation and business in the Balearic Islands.
In this regard, the Bit Foundation plays the role of innovation projects technical office in the autonomous administration and fosters the participation of the innovation stakeholders and companies of the Balearic Islands in initiatives and R & D & I calls for funding at autonomic, national and European scope.
the Bit Foundation works in the dissemination of innovation,
research, technological development and entrepreneurship in order to
promote the interest and the involvement of citizens through actions
of such diversity as organizing conferences and seminars, releasing
publications or launching thematic portals, among others.
the other hand, and closely linked to these policies and strategies
of the Government, the Bit Foundation also is in charge of the
management of entities such as the “ParcBit” (Balearic Park of
Technological Innovation), the “CentreBit Menorca”, and the
business Incubator “#Emprenbit”. These institutions shelter
technological and scientific companies, which are provided with
support services as well as with actions and projects aimed to boost
research, technological development and innovation.
Finally, the entity is also responsible for IT support to the autonomous administration and its instrumental bodies through management assignments for providing services and engineering systems in the area of ICT and
Regarding its organization, the Bit Foundation is divided into three broad areas:
• Management and Support; providing general services, includes the departments of human resources, maintenance, administration, and general, and financial services.
• ICT Unit; comprises the departments of Computer Systems and the CAU (Customer Support Center), Development, and Call Center.
• Innovation Unit: this area is divided at the same time into five departments which are focused on projects of: ICT Innovation, e-Government, ICT-Tourism, Cybersociety, and RDI and Communication
Given this structure, the Bit Foundation has specialised in the following fields of action:
• Traceability and quality systems for the agri-food industry.
• Training and certification of ICT tools use. Telerehabilitation through video games.
• Digital literacy of citizens.
• Information and innovation public policies.
• Smart management and internal organization systems.
• Free software solutions.
• Interoperability and communication protocols.
• Technology and knowledge transfer.
Thus, the Bit Foundation mission consists of contributing to the economic and social development of the Balearic Islands as well as leading the population as a whole advancing towards the information and knowledge society.